Sunday, September 14, 2008

I really should get a new book!!

I think I need to see a shrink, I really think that it is not normal to be so obsessed with a story, it is only a story! What is wrong with me...and millions of others? The first song on my blog music player feed thingie is Clair de Lune, yup, you Twilighters know what I am talking about. Even the music on this forsaken blog is sortof Twilight related, although I liked Linkin Park before I heard that Stephenie Meyer has their songs on her playlists for each of the books. So that I don’t reread the Twilight series yet another time, (I will not admit how many times I have read those books in the last few months...that would really give away how little of a normal life I have) I was looking for some ideas of new books to read- and I saw on Stephenie Meyer’s web page she had listed a bunch of her fave books, well since I love her writing I thought I would check it out. In case there are any other of you searching for some new reading material here is the list I found of her faves (along with my comments-of course, this is my blog and I talk alot...as you know):

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (I think my favorite of Austen’s, 2nd Sense and Senseability, 3rd Persuasion)
Dragonhaven by Robin Mckinley
Runemarks by Joanne Harris
Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
Anne of Green Gables Series by LM Montgomery (I knew Meyer was a 'kindred spirit')
One for the Money (Stephanie Plum No.1) Series by Janet Evanovich
Romeo and Juliet (Folger Shakespeare Library) by William Shakespeare (Shakespeare is hard because you really do have to see it performed- the best I've seen was at the Shakespearean Festival in Cedar City, Utah-“ I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats"...that’s a theatre joke, by the way.)
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (Masterpiece Theatre made a newer movie of this, FABULOUS! I would highly recommend seeing it, I think it came out in 2006- soooo great!)
Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis (I can’t wait for Amanda to finish these)
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (I haven’t read it since High School, I need to reread!)
Speaker for the Dead (#2)by Orson Scott Card
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
The Glass Lake by Maeve Binchy
Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (Some of the best mysteries ever!)
A Company of Swans by Eva Ibbotson
Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
The Princess Bride by S. Morgenstern (if you haven’t read this- it is at least as hysterical as the movie, especially if you have the movie characters in your head, so great!!!)

So that is the list. I would like to clarify that I am SOOOOOO not ripping on Twilight, because I would seriously start them again! I was talking to my sister, something that I so rarely do...only every day...and we were laughing at how obsessed we were with this story. The reason that I can't start the series again is because unlike other series' of books that I have read many times, I just have the worst time putting these books down! And I have got work to get done, and kids to take care of!!! tee hee.
I just thought of another great series of books that I love:

The Belgariad (5 books) and The Mallorean (5 books) plus 2 pre-quel books by David Eddings (Josh and I have read this series so many times that we can quote passages to each other and know exactly where and who said it. Sad yet fun. It is Fantasy Fiction and the characters are really great- on any long trip we usually end up on our favorite game of 'casting' this book series-if it were going to be a movie.)
The Host by Stephenie Meyer (I really liked it, I like sci-fi, I like romance, I liked this book, it was interesting and a good story- she is a great storyteller!)
I Love to read! I was thinking that it would be fun to do kindof an online book club, where we all read the same book and then comment on them together- fun? How would that work? I don't know. I gotta go to bed, I am delirious, so no change in my writing there. *sigh*

2 comments:

Nicole B. said...

Seriously, who really needs any other books besides Twilight?!! I know I'm good. Actually, thanks for the list, as much as I love Twilight Ineeded some other books to read. And I think an online book club would be fun, I'm in.

Megan said...

I know exactly how you feel! Have you read midnight sun on meyer's web site? Just wondering I haven't given in yet but I don't know if I can wait too much longer. ;) A book club sounds great count me in.