(the above photo is one I found online of an alive one...I didn't take any pics of the alive one I found, I was more intent on squishing it!) Those of you who know me know that I hate spiders, like I don't just dislike them I actively HATE them! And after yesterday they have totally outranked cockroaches as my biggest reason to freak-out. Here is how it went:I asked Amanda to put all of the shoes back into the shoe basket by the front door (they can never just pick out shoes, they must dump the whole thing out) after she finished she came running back to the laundry room and said "There is a HUGE black spider in the shoe basket!" Now I didn't freak out...yet. Just about ANY spider gets the spastic reaction from the girls, so I walked over the the basket and saw it, then said "HOLY CRAP!" Unfortunately that is actually the edited version...I said some other potty word- Amanda looked at me with those big brown eyes and said "MOM!!". tee hee. Anyway, it was a Ginormous black creepy spider! I thought it might be a black widow, but since I have never seen an alive one, or one up close at all (if you don't count the discovery channel) I wasn't sure. I sent the kids upstairs to get out of my way, while it crawled into the full shoe basket, so I put on one of Josh's big shoes....after checking in the toe with a flashlight...and stomped on top of the pile of shoes. Then I flipped the basket over and ran away a few steps, have I mentioned I hate spiders? I then proceeded to use two flip flops like probing devices to go through the shoe pile, eventually I found it only slightly injured on the floor. I squashed so thoroughly I am surprised I was ever able to identify it! :) I couldn't really see if it had the tell-tale red hourglass on its underside, so I took a pic and zoomed in to see....*warning* kinda gross, sorry about the guts...she deserved it!

Nasty, huh? The body was about 1/2in. long, legs extended about 1 1/2in....ugh. Gross!
Do you see the hourglass? huh, do ya? HUH!? So nasty. I must say what freaked me out the most is that Amanda had just handled all those shoes, that scared me more than anything! Stupid scary spider!









3 comments:
Oh, my gosh!!! My arm hairs are standing straight up right now! I almost feel like I was there! I HATE spiders too! I get the creeps just thinkin' about them! I had to kill a black widow in my tomato plants this year and it involved a lot of jumping and screaming and bug spray and a long stick! :) EEEEWWWWWW! At least I haven't seen one in my house, so I feel for ya! I can't believe you hadn't seen one before though! I've seen so many I can't even count!
I am pretty sure we have a thriving community of those in our neighborhood and I still freak out whenever I see one. I have even put the fear of black widows into my kids and they can recognize them in a heartbeat. I am glad you were able to take care of the situation.
you tell the best stories ever! so want to hear my nasty spider story?
last summer we moved into a new place...well new to us. it's actually like 30 years old. anyway, our first night there i walk up to my bed and i felt a little stringy thing go across my forehead. i said to derek TOTALLY JOKING, "oh great, now there's a spider in our bed." so anyway, we get into bed and i laid down on my back with my arms beneath my head. a few minutes later i feel something tickling my armpit...i look down and there is a big black spider IN MY ARMPIT. i jumped up and yelled, "shiz, shiz, shiz, shiz!" (edited of course!!!) derek thought someone was attacking our kids or something! luckily we found it and killed it. i would never have been able to go to sleep again otherwise! ha ha anyway, i hate spiders too. i'm glad amanda didn't get biten. YUCK!
Post a Comment